President Barack Obama on Sunday likely became the first actual president to publicly acknowledge Area 51, the top-secret government testing ground that has become a focal point for generations of extraterrestrial enthusiasts.
Author Shirley MacLaine, who has claimed to have seen many UFOs, received the performing arts lifetime achievement award in a ceremony Sunday. The president couldn't resist the opportunity to joke about the decades of conspiracy theories surrounding mysterious lights and aliens at the Nevada installation.
“Now, when you first become President, one of the questions that people ask you is, what’s really going on in Area 51,” Obama quipped at a reception honoring the awardees. “When I wanted to know, I’d call Shirley MacLaine. I think I just became the first president to ever publicly mention Area 51. How’s that, Shirley?”
The official use for the Nevada Test and Training Range and Groom Lake — the formal name for the facility commonly known as Area 51 — are far less otherworldly. It’s been the testing ground for government programs including the U-2 spyplane and various stealth aircraft.
The other 2013 performing arts honorees were Opera singer Martina Arroyo, jazz legend Herbie Hancock, rocker Billy Joel and guitarist Carlos Santana.
What Do We Really Know About The Moon?
- Who Built The Moon
- Did Man or ETs Create The Moon?
- New Research Puts Moons Origin in Doubt
- Did Armstrong & Aldrin Get Death Threats About UFOs on Moon
- Military Officer Says There Are Alien Facilities On The Moon
- What Do We Really Know About The Moon & Moon Structures
- What is NASA Not Telling Us About The Moon
- China Releases Photos Of Structures on Moon
- Astronomer Films Five UFOs Close To The Moon
- Spectacular Video Of UFO Fleet Departing Moon
- NASA Crashes 2 Probes Into The Moon
- Extremely Large UFO Moving Above Moons Surface - Video