When Aliens Attack Earth, National Geographic Special
What if an extra-terrestrial force attacked Earth? What might that look like and how will the people of Earth respond? Consulting a cast of world-renowned scientists, survival experts and defense experts, this two-hour special, Alien Invasion explores this frightening scenario. Experts reveal what could motivate alien invaders to attack Earth, and speculate on how the attack might play out -- the strategy alien invaders might use and the most effective ways for humans to respond. Well turn to science and history to figure out what works. Well show how humanity can survive this ultimate test.
(Video 4 Min)
(Video 4 Min)
National Geographic airs this two hour special tonight, May 24, 2011 from 8-10pm.
- According to our experts, there is absolutely no doubt that aliens are out there somewhere- mathematically speaking. Learn more about the evidence of extraterrestrial life and other facts surrounding this topic.
- *Under the Freedom of Information Act the British Ministry of Defence released 160 files pertaining to UFO reports and sightings.
- *Small nuclear missiles like the W-54 warhead might be humanities best shot at fighting an extra-terrestrial ground invasion force.
- *One in four Americans believe the planet has already been visited by extraterrestrials.
- *In 1977 an engineer working at a telescope in Ohio detected a mysterious 72-second pulse that originated a long way from Earth. Whether it came from aliens or, more likely, a black hole event was never determined.
- *NASA had an office dedicated to SETI (Search for Extra Terrestrial Institute) research but congress cut funding in 1993.
- *NASA and European counterparts are weighing options for a mission, at least 15 to 20 years from now, that would gather samples from Mars and return them to Earth.
- *95% of UFO sightings can be explained as misidentifications of known objects or phenomena.
- *NASA's Kepler mission is surveying the Milky Way galaxy to discover Earth-size planets that may support liquid water and possibly life. Kepler has found over 700 planet candidates.
- *The stars that NASA's Kepler mission is observing are in the range of a few hundred to a few thousand light-years away. One light year is about 6 trillion (6,000,000,000,000) miles.
- *The first planets to be found around nearby stars have never been seen. Instead, astronomers have discovered them indirectly, inferring the existence of an unseen planet through its effects on the star itself.
- *The challenges of observing extra-solar planets stem from three basic facts: Planets don't produce any light of their own, except when young. They are an enormous distance from us. They are lost in the blinding glare of their parent stars.
- *In 2001 astronomers from the Geneva University discovered HD 28185b, the first planet to be found in the so-called "habitable zone" around a star where liquid water can exist.
- *In 2007 NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope found water vapor in the spectrum of the planet HD 189733b, marking the first time water has been detected on an exoplanet.
- *Voyager 1, launched in 1977, is the furthest man-made object from Earth.
- *Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity discovered that water once existed on Mars and the planet may have been habitable for life.
- *Stephen Hawking warned that direct contact with aliens may be "a little too risky". And that "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America."
- *The US Air Force took the "Flying Saucers" of 1947 very seriously. They were widely believed to be Soviet secret weapons.
- *At present, no one on Earth can conduct even the most limited military operations in space, even inside the Earth-Moon system.
- *For all we know, the weapons we have today might be as ineffective against invaders as spears against a battleship.
- *The elementary approach suggests that two thirds of the planets in our solar system that can develop life will develop intelligent life.
- *British Ministry of Defence documents reveal that Winston Churchill ordered a UFO sighting be kept secret to prevent "mass panic."
Talk about preparing the masses for some sort of alien event or even a false flag alien attack National Geographic is certainly doing their best!
Read more: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/when-aliens-attack/5357/Overview#tab-facts#ixzz1NHdF90h5